|Title:||Camp Parapet Day|
|Date:||Saturday October 12, 2013|
|Time:||10:00 am - 2:00 pm (GMT-06.00) Central Time (US & Canada)|
|Location:||Causeway Blvd at Arlington, Camp Parapet|
|Notes:||Flyer with details will be posted as soon as received.|
Camp Parapet was part of a Confederate military fortification constructed in 1861 to protect New Orleans from a northern invasion coming down the Mississippi River. The fortification was a zig-zag earthen embankment running from the river to Lake Pontchartrain, roughly parallel to present-day Causeway Boulevard.
The fortification was intended to protect the city of New Orleans from Union attack from upriver. Because the Union fleet took the city by sailing in from below, the fortification was never used.
After the capture of New Orleans, U.S. forces manned and expanded the fortifications to defend against a Confederate counter-attack, which never came.
The only remaining structure of the fortification is the powder magazine, of brick enclosed in an earth mound. It is preserved in a small park and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1977.