April 17, 2011

LETTER FROM GILBERT LABAUVE

From Lawrence Earlo LaBauve Jr. via Facebook:


Gilbert LaBauve. Found this online thought it might be your family.---“[?] County, Texas, [?] juillet, 1889.” Joseph Gilbert LaBauve to “Mr. Raphaël Hebert, Ouest B. Rouge.” The letter – badly damaged and housed in the oversize folder – reads in translation:

“My dear uncle, I would tell you that I am a little ashamed to take up the plume today to write you. Only because I would have had to do it a long time ago, [?] to do it, but you knew the news [was?] the same thing. Thus, today I write from Texas. We arrived about three hours ago at the inn from which I write you. Our trip was one of the happiest. It is now four days since we left the lake. We arrived yesterday morning at Galveston, and we left again at 4:00 in the afternoon. Our expenses up to here have climbed to $225.00. We had a bad time leaving Galveston for here. I saw waves – real waves – of the sea. Mama, Josephine, and [?] all had seasickness, but I knew how to come out of it like an old sailor. You [?] our relatives and friends this news. All of the [?] family are wonderful and charge me with sending their regards to you. Embrace all my cousins for me [?]. Your devoted nephew, Jos. Gilbert LaBauve”

Yes! Gilbert LaBauve is my Great-Grandfather!   Thanks so much!

No comments: